Wells Drug
Feature

Cedar Rapids home a total loss after fire

Photo shows a large section of the roof missing from this home that caught fire early Saturday in Cedar Rapids.
Photo shows a large section of the roof missing from this home that caught fire early Saturday in Cedar Rapids.

By Kim Schilousky,

Cedar Rapids Press

Cedar Rapids Volunteer Fire Department received an early morning wake-up call on Saturday, Nov. 11, at 4:40 a.m. when their pagers sounded. There was a house on fire east of the Methodist Church at 307 South Street.

Fire departments from Belgrade and Primrose were called in right away, with Albion Fire and Rescue also called in a short time later due to the proximity of the house to another home. Many in the community woke up to start deer season to see red lights flashing and fire hoses crossing the streets.

Cedar Rapids Fire Chief Dennis Roan stated: “The good part was that no one was hurt, and they even saved the two cats.” He also said that the cause of the fire is believed to be an electrical overloaded circuit due to space heaters. The house is considered a total loss.

The home is owned by Doris Bourn and Rick Bourn. Residents there were Beau Goodpasture and Ashley Eastman with their young daughter, Kiara.

Kiara, age five and a kindergartener, was not home at the time as she was visiting at her grandparents home.