Feature

Fire destroys barn at Staub home

 Albion firemen watch the smoldering remains of a barn at the Jim Staub farm early Monday morning. -- Albion Fire & Rescue Photo
Albion firemen watch the smoldering remains of a barn at the Jim Staub farm early Monday morning. — Albion Fire & Rescue Photo
An early morning fire Monday, Jan. 8, destroyed a barn at the Jim Staub residence south of Albion on 240th Avenue.
Albion Fire & Rescue was called to the scene at 6:45 a.m. They responded with six trucks and 16 firefighters, but found the structure fully involved when they arrived.
The 30 x 50 foot building, as well as the contents, were a total loss. Contents included tools, equipment and a motorcycle, as well as hay and straw in an adjoining lean-to.
Fire Chief Bruce Benne said the owner was able to move goats in adjoining pens safely away from the fire before firemen arrived.
Benne said the apparent cause of the fire was a short-circuit and arcing from heat lamps. Firemen were on the scene until 8:25 a.m.