June 28, 2011
A big fireworks display will kick off the Independence Day weekend in Albion this Friday night, July 1.
The show will be staged after races at the Boone County Raceway, at approximately 10 p.m., from 260th Street (Fairview Street) just north of the fairgrounds.
Fund-raising for the display has been underway for several months.
June 21, 2011
Attendance was estimated at more than 300 people. Free will donations raised over $700 for Albion’s July 1 fireworks display.
June 14, 2011
A wide variety of activities are planned in Albion this Saturday, June 18, in conjunction with the Albion/Boone Central alumni weekend.
Both alumni and the general public are invited to participate in the following events:
- The 2011 Cardinal Run will start at 8 a.m. Saturday. It will include a five-mile run, a two-mile fun run/walk and a one-mile kids’ run. Registrations closed Friday, June 10. For more information, contact Nicole Levander at 402-395-3165.
- Second annual Smoke n Chrome Car Show and Shine will be held Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in downtown Albion. Many vehicles are expected, depending on the weather. No advance registration is required. Contact Don Casper at 402-395-2017 or Doug Young at 402-395-2151 for more details.
- An 18-hole four-person scramble golf tournament will begin at 9 a.m. at the Albion Country Club. For more information or to sign up, contact Jesse at the ACC ProShop, 402-395-2900.
- The annual Co-ed Sand Volleyball Tournament will also begin at 9 a.m. Registration closed June 10. For information, contact Amber Becker at 402-447-9934 or 402-843-8902.
- The alumni banquet will be held at the Boone County Event Center on the fairgrounds, with the social hour beginning at 5 p.m. and banquet at 6 p.m. A total of 230 people were registered for the alumni banquet as of Tuesday morning, June 14.
- The alumni dance will follow the banquet from 8 p.m. to 1 am. at The J Sports Bar & Grill, and is open to the public.
June 7, 2011
Cedar Rapids Community Club will be sponsoring its annual Community Picnic on Saturday, June 25, with activities throughout the day and evening.
Events at the park will include a sand volleyball tournament starting at 8 a.m., senior citizens’ bake sale and kids tractor pull at 1 p.m. Throughout the afternoon and evening, there will be an FFA petting zoo, Sumo Wrestling bounce house, Minute to Win It game and other games, beer garden, barbecue supper, entertainment by TC Hatter and Marion, a dance and fireworks.
Downtown activities will begin at 2 p.m. at the community center.
May 31, 2011
A First Mass of Thanksgiving will be held at St. Michael’s Catholic Church in Albion on Sunday, June 5, at 3 p.m. An open house will follow at the Event Center at the Boone County Fairgrounds.
Details in the June 1 Albion News Print and Electronic Editions.
May 31, 2011
The gala is scheduled for Wednesday, June 29, at the Boone County Event Center in Albion. Miss Scanlan will take center stage to give an inspirational speech and play the piano piece she performed during the Miss America Contest.
“Ticket sales have been going well, with several large out-of-town groups buying large blocks of tickets,” said Aprill Murphy who is coordinating the event for the Health Center. “We have already sold close to half of the tickets for the main event.”
May 24, 2011
Memorial Day ceremonies are planned next Monday, May 30, at both Albion and Petersburg.
Church service at 8 a.m. in Petersburg and 9 a.m. at Raeville, and a program is st for 8:45 a.m. at the Petersburg American Legion Club. Neal Claar will be recognized during the ceremony.
At Albion, a 10 a.m. worship service will be held at Zion Lutheran Church, followed by the Memorial Day ceremony at 10:45 a.m. on the Boone County Courthouse lawn. PFC Andrew Holton of the Nebraska Army National Guard will be guest speaker for the outdoor ceremony.
May 17, 2011
A benefit event is scheduled Saturday, May 21, at the Boone County Fairgrounds to assist Amy Young of Albion with medical expenses in her battle against cancer.
Mrs. Young is a special education teacher, farm wife and mother of three. The benefit will include a poker run from 11 a.m. to 12 noon, supper from 5 to 7 p.m., auction starting at 7 p.m., and a dance from 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
Contributions can be made to the Amy Young Benefit account at Cornerstone Bank in Albion. For more information, contact the benefit committee members: Dave Figgner Jr., 402-395-0612; Greg Christo, 402-920-2901; Lynda Rasmussen, 402-395-1613, or Theresa Scheffler, 402-395-2336.