June 19, 2012
A steady early-morning shower did not dampen the spirits or efforts of 74 participants in Saturday’s annual Cardinal Run/Walk, held in conjunction with Albion/Boone Central Alumni activities.
Event coordinator Nicole Levander reported that 74 runners/walkers took part overall. Included in that number were 32 5-mile run competitors in divisions ranging from age 13 through 51 & up. Another 35 participated in the 2-mile run/walk and 7 youngsters completed the 1-mile kids’ run.
Adults once again started and finished their events at the Boone County Fitness Center, while kids ran circuits of the Boone Central Schools campus area.
Albion native Kevin Carder, who competes in cross country and track/field at the University of Nebraska-Kearney, was the Overall Male winner in the 5-mile run in a time of 28:00. Hannah Schmitz of Albion, age 14, was the top Overall Female with a 5-mile clocking of 38:34.
Further Results in Print & Online Editions of Albion News
June 5, 2012
Petersburg Q125 Committee has announced the event schedule for the community’s 125th anniversary celebration June 29, 30 and July 1. Following is an abbreviated schedule:
Friday, June 29: Golf hole-in-one qualifying, 1-3 p.m.; opening ceremonies, 6:30 p.m. followed by beard contest and Parade of Historic Attire; Talent/Variety Show, 7:30 p.m.; bluegrass music and free barbecue, 4:30 to 7 p.m.; fireworks at dusk.
Saturday, June 30: Fun Run, 7:45 a.m.; co-ed sand volleyball tourney, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; lunch stand at park, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; garden tour of homes, 9 a.m. to 12 noon; outhouse races, 10 a.m.; tractorcade, 10 a.m.; poker run, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.; style show at school gym, 1 p.m.; pie social, fire hall, 1-3 p.m.; golf hole-in-one qualifying, 1-3 p.m.; old-time baseball game, 4 p.m.; hot air ballon display; alumni banquets at Werner Hall, 6 p.m.; Q125 auction, 8:15 p.m., followed by parade of historic attire; Rumbles dance, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.
Sunday, July 1: Breakfast at fire hall, 8 a.m.; car show, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.; worship service, Werner Hall, 10 a.m.; Army helicopter display; military fly-over, 1:30 p.m.; Grand Parade, 2 p.m., followed by kids games/contests, and announcement of winners.
Food booths and beer gardens will be available all three days. Clothing museum will be at St. John’s School. Rae Valley Heritage will have a display. A gun show will be open Saturday and Sunday, and D. C. Lynch Carnival will be operating all three days.
June 5, 2012
Many vehicles cruised Petersburg’s Main Street and were on display (above). First place winner was Gene Wissenburg of Newman Grove with his Camaro R/S.
Albion will host its annual Smoke n Chrome on Main car show during alumni weekend on Saturday, June 16.
May 29, 2012
A variety of special events are scheduled in Albion on Saturday, June 16, during the Albion/Boone Central Alumni Weekend. The Saturday events will include:
– Cardinal Fun Run starting at 8 a.m.
– Chamber of Commerce Pancake Feed, courthouse parking lot, 7 to 10:30 a.m.
– Albion Country Market on Church Street, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
– Smoke n Chrome Car Show on Church and Fourth Streets downtown, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
– Hot Dog Feed, downtown.
– Legends Golf Tournament at Albion Country Club, 9 a.m.
– Co-Ed Volleyball Tournament at fairgrounds, 9 a.m.
– Open House at Boone Central Schoool, 1 to 3 p.m.
– Alumni Social Hour, 5 p.m.; banquet at 6 p.m., Boone County Event Center.
– Dance and beer garden at The J Sports Bar & Grill, 8 p.m. to 1 a.m.
July 5, 2011
A large holiday crowd gathered at the Boone County Fairgrounds Saturday, July 2, to enjoy the wild excitement of the 17th Annual Gateway to the Sandhills Bullride Classic, presented by the Albion FFA Alumni and Rodeo Rose Productions.
When the final whistle had sounded, Zeke Mora of Brush, CO topped the 40 competing cowboys and added his name to the list of 16 previous event champions. Read more
June 21, 2011
Michelle Devine, alumni president, served as master of ceremonies. Other alumni officers for 2011 are Amber Becker, vice president; Kim Mewhirter, secretary; and Josh Gompert, treasurer.
Agnes Nygren and Myrna Noble, both in the class of 1938, were the oldest alumni present. Bill Curren was honored as the alumnus who traveled the longest distance, from Ghana, Africa, to attend.
June 14, 2011
Petersburg hosted its annual Cruise Night last Saturday, June 11, with good participation and a wide variety of vehicles and motorcycles.
This weekend, on Saturday, June 18, Albion will host it second annual “Smoke n Chrome on Main” Car Show as one of the highlights of alumni weekend.
Weather permitting, a large number of vehicles are expected for the show on Church and Fifth Streets in the downtown area.
June 14, 2011
A wide variety of activities are planned in Albion this Saturday, June 18, in conjunction with the Albion/Boone Central alumni weekend.
Both alumni and the general public are invited to participate in the following events:
- The 2011 Cardinal Run will start at 8 a.m. Saturday. It will include a five-mile run, a two-mile fun run/walk and a one-mile kids’ run. Registrations closed Friday, June 10. For more information, contact Nicole Levander at 402-395-3165.
- Second annual Smoke n Chrome Car Show and Shine will be held Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in downtown Albion. Many vehicles are expected, depending on the weather. No advance registration is required. Contact Don Casper at 402-395-2017 or Doug Young at 402-395-2151 for more details.
- An 18-hole four-person scramble golf tournament will begin at 9 a.m. at the Albion Country Club. For more information or to sign up, contact Jesse at the ACC ProShop, 402-395-2900.
- The annual Co-ed Sand Volleyball Tournament will also begin at 9 a.m. Registration closed June 10. For information, contact Amber Becker at 402-447-9934 or 402-843-8902.
- The alumni banquet will be held at the Boone County Event Center on the fairgrounds, with the social hour beginning at 5 p.m. and banquet at 6 p.m. A total of 230 people were registered for the alumni banquet as of Tuesday morning, June 14.
- The alumni dance will follow the banquet from 8 p.m. to 1 am. at The J Sports Bar & Grill, and is open to the public.